Thursday, June 25, 2009

Life after death?

I think everyone wonders what really happens when we die. Most of us, however, are content to only daydream and think in very general terms of the afterlife. That definitely describes my thought process up until about two years ago. I'm not really sure when or why I became interested in the paranormal, but it has become more than a passing fancy. I think it all started when I happened across a little TV show on the SciFi network.

Ghost Hunters. This show has done so much to open my eyes to the possibilities that there might be something after death. It is produced professionally with the goal of their team being to disprove a haunting. That was refreshing to me after seeing so many shows before try to sensationalize any bump in the night as paranormal. Plus the people on the show are just everyday folks and are (to quote Jodi Foster in Maverick) just so like-able! :)

My favorite all-time Ghost Hunters episode is still the St. Augustine Lighthouse in Florida. They captured an apparition on film that to this day still gives me goose bumps from head to toe. (iTunes has this episode available and it is definitely worth the $1.99 fee.) There have been so many moments that have made my hair stand on end and made me want to kiss the person that invented the DVR! Amazing stuff!

I have yet to have my own "personal experience" with anything concrete and visual. And its not for lack of trying. My husband and I have collected a modest kit of ghost hunting tools and paranormal equipment. We have ventured in to a few sights hoping to capture something in audio or video format. To date, the best we have done is an interaction through a flashlight.

We were investigation in a friend's house that has been in their family for four generations. The house is thought to have been built with the wood from an old school house, if not actually just an add-on to the school house itself. The family that resides in the house has had numerous experiences with noises as well as full-bodied apparitions. Needless to say, we were ecstatic to get an opportunity to play around in that house.

My husband had set up a video camera in one of the upstairs bedrooms so we decided to investigate there first. We decided to use one of the Ghost Hunters' tricks. We unscrewed the end of our flashlight just enough to break the contact for the battery, leaving it in a state so that if you put any pressure on the end of the flashlight, it would light up. We placed the flashlight on the bed next to the video camera and began to ask questions and try to make contact with the spirits the owners felt shared their home.

About five minutes into the questioning, our video camera inexplicably turned itself off. The battery was completely drained. Just over 60 seconds later, the flashlight on the bed flickered. I grabbed my husband's hand and lost my breath for a few seconds. My brain could not comprehend what I was seeing. We began to ask questions and each time we stopped speaking, the flashlight would flicker in response. It seemed very measured and did not occur while we were speaking, but appeared to be in direct response to our inquiries.

This went on for just under three minutes. It was an amazing experience! My only regret is that we were unable to capture it on video. Our audio recorder captured our shock and disbelief at what we were seeing, but like every good skeptic... seeing is believing. Audio isn't quite good enough. Next time... next time... :)



"Houses are not haunted. We are haunted, and regardless of the architecture with which we surround ourselves, our ghosts stay with us until we ourselves are ghosts."
~ Dean Koontz, Velocity



Crossposted at theparanorm.com

No comments:

Post a Comment